Renovating Christmas

Christmas is coming!

Again.

I love the meaning behind Christmas, but it is hard for a lot of folks. It is for me.
  • As a child, holiday time produced more family dysfunction. So unpleasant memories nag more at Christmas.
  • We're so busy these days and then you add Christmas to the list (shopping, cooking, and parties) and wow, stress rockets into the stratosphere.  
  • It's my birthday. Nice to be born on Christ's birthday, but everyone has two special days a year—Christmas and their birthday—but for me, it's all rolled into one.

So last year, I developed a plan. I created a Christmas renovation list to inspire newfound gratitude for the miracle of Christmas. No lords leaping, milking maids or golden rings. Not expensive or time consuming. Simply enjoy in random order with an open heart and magical eyes.  


My 2015 Christmas Renovation List


12- Make a list of 12 blessings I received this year

11- Visit 11 homes on a Tacky Light tour with children

10- Send Christmas cards to 10 military members or 10 children at St. Jude Hospital or 10 senior adults

9- Play at least 9 hours of my favorite Christmas music

8- Attend a Christmas party with at least 8 people


7- Forgive & pray for 7 people who are thorns in my side (we all have them)

6- Donate 6 items (food, blankets, diapers) to a feeding program or homeless shelter

5- Make 5 crafts with kids like gingerbread houses or peanut butter / pine cone bird feeders

4- Donate 4 shoe boxes to Samaritan's Purse for children around the world


3Donate 3 bags of pet food, litter or toys to an animal rescue group or volunteer 3 hours


2- Reconnect with two old friends or make two new friends


1See one new Christmas movie or attend a Christmas play


So how's it going? Well, with the help of my grandsons, I have already completed #4. And I'm excited to start on the others. I'll keep you posted. 



I'm curious or a little nosey.



What would be on your Christmas renovation list?


Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and small business owner. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils

Comments

  1. I love your new blog! Great job Tammy.
    Here's a couple that help me survive the holidays.
    1.We make a "CAN FOOD" Christmas tree that is donated to the food pantry after Christmas in memory of my late husband, John Birkitt. Family and Friends bring an ornament that reminds them of John or they bring can foods. One way to carry on his loving heart. We have another tree that is our "Johnny" tree in memory of my son. Again, family and friends bring ornaments as a way to remember him in a special way".
    2. I have to buy something from a street vendor. It was a tradition for years with my son on Christmas Eve on Cary Street.
    3. During December, we go to Monroe Park and give out "Johnny" bags to the homeless; filled with gloves, socks, scarf, hat, and some goodies to eat too. We keep these in our car for those who are standing by the side of the road too.
    "YOU HAVEN'T LIVED A MEMORABLE DAY UNTIL YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE WHO COULD NEVER REPAY YOU".
    Thanks for letting me share how I survive the holidays when sometimes I'd like to sleep from Thanksgiving to New Years!
    Keeping Christ and others first is how it's done! and of course, the grandchildren are my focus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great ideas!! Maybe next year I will hand out some Johnny bags as well. Merry Christmas, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. I love all these ideas and the ones from Brenda McEwen, too. What great ways to show God's love! Thank you both for sharing your ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.