Santa and Smoky Love

Ever heard of Flash Fiction?

 In essence, the writer paints a picture for the reader by telling a story with as few words as possbile. Who couldn't use a short and sweet story nowadays? Here's a sample. 

What do you think? 



"Let me call you back. Sam just got off the school bus and he looks…defeated. Later, gator." I hung up the phone and greeted my 8 year old at the front door.

"Hey, how was your day?" I hung his coat and backpack on a hook.

"Fine." He sat down at the table for a snack.

"Looks like something is bothering you. What's up?" I sat across from him and took a bite out of an apple.

"Nothing." He ate his peanut butter and jelly sandwich and drank his milk.

"Do you have a lot of homework?" Maybe that what's bothering him.

He looked down at his lap. "You know what Freddie said today?" 
Looking intently at my face, his eyes filled with tears. "There's no real Santa Claus."

"He said that." I stalled.

"Yep, he told everyone on the playground." He took another bite of his sandwich, never taking his eyes off my face.

Did someone just suck the air out of the room? I've known this day would come, but I'd hope for another Christmas of innocent belief.

"Well, that's not true." I sat my apple to the side and laid my arms on the table. "There was a St. Nicholas a really long time ago. We can check him out on Google later tonight." I rearranged the fruit in the bowl. Again stalling. "He is the one behind the Santa legend. Do you know what a legend is?"




"Nuh, uh." He drank milk and wiped his mouth on his sleeve.

"Let's see. A legend is what someone leaves behind when they die. Like Babe Ruth left a baseball legend behind. Or…"

Excited, he sprang to his feet. "Like Captain America saved the world. That's his legend, right?"

"Uhh…sure." Captain America has a way of sneaking into all our conversations. "Well, that's how Santa Claus works today. The real St. Nicholas gave to others out of love. He's gone but his legend still lives on. At Christmas, we celebrate the greatest gift ever. God giving us baby Jesus. That's why we give gifts to our loved ones. Just like St. Nick started long ago." I took another bite of my apple.

"I wish he didn't die." Sam balled his napkin up and drained the last of his milk.

I reached across the table and grabbed his little hands."Me too. But look what he left us. We all get to be Santa. To our family or friends or the homeless person at the park. Do you understand?"

"I think so." He squinted. "Remember sitting around the campfire making smores."

I nodded. Wonder where this is going?




"Everything smelled like smoke. My clothes and my hair even my skin. Well, St. Nick is like that." He grinned. "He's the fire that makes the smoke. And we are the smoke. We get to smell up other people with gifts. It's really just smoky love."   

Smiling, I hugged him. "By George, I think you got it."

He leaned out of my arms. "Huh, who's George?"    

Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and small business owner. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils.


Comments