Visiting with Grandma




"Ever wished you could somehow communicate with deceased family members or friends?  I do. What would you talk about? Check out this fictional enocunter with my grandmother. Enjoy!"




      "Not again, Tammy." Grandma laughed. "Every time we have a dream meeting, you get me started on describing heaven. Not this time. Tell me about your world."

      "But Grandma…I have questions about the Tree of Life."

      "Next time. Tell me about your day. After you get up…what?" She prompted me with a slight nod of her head.

      "Well, let's see. I get out of bed, drink a cup of hot water and check my phone. Then I do some yoga  and—"
         

    "Wait a minute. You check your phone? What did it grow legs and run away? You mean, check your answering machine, right?" 

    I scratched my head. "No legs….oh, wait. Phones have changed since you…went to heaven. Now most adults have their own individual phones and we take them everywhere we go. They're called cell phones."

    Clearly confused, she tilted her head to the side and squinted. "Why in the world do you need a phone everywhere you go? People don't leave messages anymore?"

      "Well, yes they do, but on my cell phone and those messages are called voice mail."

     "Hold it. You have a phone in your purse everywhere you go?"

     I use my index fingers and thumbs to make a rectangle the size of my phone. "Grandma, it's about the size of a transistor radio but much thinner. Yes, it's in my purse."

     "So why do you have to check it in the morning?"

     "To see if I've received any voice mails or texts…"

       "Texts?" She put her hands on her hips.

       "That's when someone sends you a message but it's written. Not their voice like an answering machine."

        "Text use to be the writing in a book. Things sure have changed since 1991." Shaking her head, she crossed her arms across her chest.

     "You think that's crazy? I play a game like Scrabble, schedule appointments on the calendar, and check emails. All on my phone. Why, some folks listen and store music and watch movies—all on their phones." 

     "Emails?"

     "Email is electronic mail someone sends over the internet."

     She opened her eyes wide. "Is that faster than airmail?"

     I laughed. "Oh, yeah. From here to anywhere in only a second or two."

     "Incredible! What else does your phone do?"

      "Let's see. I can use what's called the GPS and get directions. An actual voice will tell me exactly where to turn and what time I'll get there."

    "Like a talking map?" Grandma massaged her temples.

      "Yes, ma’am. And then there's Facebook and Twitter, which are called social media apps. And blogs--."

             
"Stop." She held her hand up like a traffic cop. "That's enough. What did you say you wanted to know about the Tree of Life?"

The End

So who would you want to talk to and about what? 

Please share!




Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and small business owner. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils
                 



Comments