Confessions & Epiphanies

Last Saturday, I had an epiphany. But first, I have a confession.

Old Testament scripture tells how God required sacrifices for the people's sins. Bulls, goats, rams, lambs, pigeons. My confession—I've always felt sorry for those animals. You know, they were innocent and had to lose their lives. Seemed unfair.

Well, then my epiphany happened.

Last year, Hubby and I moved to a woodsy neighborhood with lots of deer. In preparation for a new garden spot, I had to move an existing bush to plant a new blueberry plant. You see, deer eat azaleas, and many other plants. So I moved it to the outer edge of my garden spot. My sacrificial offering to the deer. Eat my azaleas, not my blueberries, kale, basil and so on. I crossed my fingers.



And then God nudged my heart with awareness. Look at what I'm doing to save my veggies. Offering the deer another option. I want my garden to thrive. And I'm just a gardener.



What about God? He's the Creator of all life, including us humans. And He wants us to thrive too. So to teach His people that sin has consequences, He required sacrifices. A ceremonial act to outwardly clean. True love embraces sacrifice. Man's standing with Him mattered more than the sacrificed animals. Like my veggies matter more to me than the azalea bushes.

Another confession. I'm glad I live after the first Easter. No more animal sacrifices. God sent His only Son as a sacrifice--once--and for all who believes. 

1 John 2:2 tells us, "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." Forgiven sins no longer need sacrifices.

"For I (God) desire mercy, not sacrifice, and the acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. Hos 6:6." He wants us in relationship with Him. Now that's love. True love.

I love that God spoke to me in my garden. I think He's partial to gardens. After all, He began our world in one. 


Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and small business owner. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils. Check out her blog at Tammy Van Gils

Comments

  1. Tammy, We battle deer, ground hogs, rabbits, and squirrels to try to get something our of our garden and orchard. You did have quite an epiphany and I'm grateful to you for sharing so that I could have a better point of view about "sharing" the fruits of our labors with the wide animals. They are God's creatures, too! Maybe I need to try to sacrifice azalea! Wishing you blessings. Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! We have lots of critters too, especially squirrels. I don't mind sharing with them just prefer it not to be my veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I really liked your post! We just talked about sin/defeat of sin in Bible study; it is nice having two different conversations on it in one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan. I love how God teaches us with affirming messages.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.