Writing a Bulls-Eye

Writing. The stringing of chosen words into meaningful sentences to convey a thought, message or story.  That's my definition. Easier said than done.

I shared on My Story page that I've been writing stories in my head for a long time.  A couple of years ago, I wrote my first book. Surely a masterpiece. Publishers will be standing in line. A perfect bulls-eye. 


WRONG! I discovered I didn't even hit the target. Why? Plain and simple, undeveloped writing skills. Like I could string the bow but clueless how to shoot. To have the arrow hit the target meant learning the art of writing. Target practice. How did I begin? 


By meeting with fellow writers at the Virginia Chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. By attending the Blue Ridge Mountain Writers Conference for the last two years. By joining Word Weavers International and the Christian Hub writing groups. Classes. Critiques. Contests. 

These opportunities have provided great friendships with like-minded writers who graciously have mentored me. Folks who hit the bulls-eye all or most of the time.

And I've learned tons. If I tried to list all the different skills, this post would be a million words. So I've decided to demonstrate in two short writing samples.

I was standing in the hospital room and they just called over the speaker for the crash cart. My heart was loudly thumping and my knees are very weak. The sick loved one is really scared. I wiped sweat from my forehead with the tissue from my pocket. I hoped this was only dream.

"Code blue, room 207, stat." What's happening? I see the doctor barking orders, but all I can hear is the echo of my heart pounding. Thank God this cement wall is holding me up or I'd melt into the shiny floor like a Popsicle on hot pavement. Someone I love is fighting for his life. Grabbing a tissue from my pocket, I wipe my forehead before the salty sweat runs into my eyes. If only I could wake up.  

Which do you like better? Which is easier to read and more interesting?

Some writing skills used include—active vs. passive verbs, showing vs. telling, deeper point of view, and consistent verb tense, eliminating weasel words, using stronger verbs vs. –ly adverbs, cause then effect and no head hopping. I've learned to visualize a scene and then bring it to life with mere words.  

Target practice is challenging work—grueling at times. But it must be paying off. Why? Because the second sample was much easier to write than the first.

So what's my goal? Well-choreographed words organized into attention-grabbing sentences that will captivate an engaged reader in a meaningful story. 


After all, a reader is sacrificing precious time and money to read my book. String and bow. Eloquent story and eager reader. Now that's a bulls-eye, for sure.




Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and small business owner. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils. Check out her blog at Tammy Van Gils

Comments