Labor Day & Balance

In 1882, Labor Day was created to celebrate the American worker and their contribution to our great country and provide a day off to enjoy life. Our heritage can be portrayed by the sweat, pain, and achievements of hard working, every day people.


In my area of Virginia, it signals the last weekend before school opens as well as the end of the summer with the closing of most swimming pools.

In the Jamestown gift shop, I found this quote by Captain John Smith. I can't imagine how difficult to merely survive life in those days. And I bet those hearty settlers could never envision how our country would evolve with such incredible changes and the many luxuries of today.

Paul tells us in 2 Thessalonians 3:10, "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." Maybe Capt. Smith quoted our New Testament apostle, after all.

For most of us, hard work comes easy. Maybe too easy.

Paul and Capt. Smith wouldn't have a problem with my work ethic. I'm an accomplished do-er. And a lousy be-er. Not the golden liquid kind but the "lay back and enjoy life" kind.

I live by list. Written ones and mental ones. Never is there a time of day that I'm not working on something or thinking of ten things I want to accomplish that day. So rarely am I pleased at the end of the day with how much got done. And I never feel like the list gets shorter, actually it often seems to sprout new items like pesky weeds in a flower bed. (Which by the way, is on my mental list- pull weeds).  

How do we over-achievers stop this "hamster wheel" way of life? And should we even try?

Paul tells us in 1 Thessalonians 11-12, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

I believe Paul is talking about balance here. Finding balance between work and play. Between dashing about and sitting still. Between chaos and tranquility. Between busy-ness and still-ness. Between doing and being.

A balanced life not only makes us more fulfilled individuals, but also produces a witness for the world. A double blessing.  

New self-renovation project—work on balance. This isn't the first time I started this transition from do-er to be-er. Time to make a plan. Oh, wait. Maybe I should enjoy Labor Day as it was intended and just be, for a change. 

Won't be easy, but so necessary.

How's your balance? What's helps you maintain a balanced life? Please share.

Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and co-owner of S & N Paint Contractors, Inc. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils

  

Comments

  1. Great post, Tammy. I think finding ways to balance life will be different at different times for each of us. I find that when I become to "busy" or "overwhelmed", if I take a few moments here and there to just breathe, really helps me. Breathe in, breathe out, slowly, and listen for the sounds around me. God provides rest in those breaths. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa. Great advice. I will try that! Blessings and thanks for commenting, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.