Training for the Enemy Defeat

We have an enemy who has been given lots of names. Murderer. Liar. Old Serpent. His job is to take us down, literally to the pit.


We have a Father who loves us so much He sent His own Son to die on our behalf. His perfect gift of grace and our belief in Him deliver us the victory against the dragon. But what's our role in this tag team partnership with our Creator?

Paul clearly lays it out for us in Ephesians 6:10-18. Let's look at a summary of our warfare armor.


We are to place the belt of truth around our waist. The breastplate of righteousness in place. Our feet fitted with readiness which comes from the gospel of peace. The shield of faith which extinguishes all the fiery arrows of the evil one. The helmet of salvation. The sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. Prayer in the Spirit on all occasions. Be alert. Pray for each other, the saints.  

Truth, righteousness, gospel of peace, faith, salvation, Word of God, Spirit-filled prayer. 

Now that's one powerful list of smack-down maneuvers. Old Beelzebub doesn't stand a chance. 

But how can we utilize these maneuvers if we don't know of their powerful existence? We can't whip out our shield of faith, if we lack faith or have our feet fitted with readiness without understanding the gospel of peace. For us to use the sword of the Spirit, we must know God's Word.

After all, Jesus used the sword of the Spirit to defeat the Tempter in the wilderness. Three times. On the third thrust of the sword, Jesus demands. "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only." He wielded the Word of God and Satan left. Smack-down.

I loved the movie "The War Room" for this very reason. If we want to wage victory over our enemy, we must use the tools God has given us. His Word and prayer topping the list. We grow stronger and wiser the more we exercise these two powerful weapons.

Here's how I see the battle unfolds.

The sneaky snake steals his way into the ring of my life; my knees knock, and dread creeps into my soul. I tag team my Father who reminds me of His faithfulness, and calls a scripture to my mind. I lift my shield of faith extinguishing the flaming arrow of self-doubt from the liar. I thrust back with my sword—the Word of God. Satan hits the matt, slithers his way past the ropes and out the door. I breathe a sigh of relief. The smiling King of Kings places His arm around my shoulders and holds His other arm high in the air. Victory is His. To God be the glory.

What's your strongest weapon to defeat the devil? Won any recent victories lately? Let's celebrate and encourage each other on the journey. Please share. 

Comments