Why Exact Timing?

Last week's post mentioned the value of looking in the world's rear view mirror through history and observing the outcome of past choices and the modern day consequences. Also, I shared my opinion on the difference between religion and relationship with the Creator.

I saw a great sermon by James Merritt with Touching Lives, titled Timing is Everything.  I encourage you to check it out. He explained how our Father chose the exact timing for the birth of Christ. The single exact moment in world history and why that was critically chosen. Our God is an on-time God. Perfect and precise.

Even today, He's still in the business of expressing love through exact timing which changes lives. We only have to open our spiritual eyes and realize those moments are gifts from Him.

Last week, I shared about living through a very tumultuous time. One day in particular was beyond devastating to me. August 21, 1980. The horrible details aren't important, just that it was rock your world, curl your toes horrific. I knew that day would forever be etched in my future as the anniversary of that event. But God had other ideas.

On August 21, 1981, I went out with a friend and met a man who one year later to the day, became my husband. Only God could change a date on the calendar from one of devastation to one of celebrating a marriage anniversary. Now rarely do those terrible memories flash though my mind's eye. God's timing perfect and precise.

Another time, some dear ones and I traveled to Hampton to see Neil Diamond perform. I must confess that Neil has a special place in my heart so I was beyond thrilled to see him in concert again. We arrived very early to our nose bleed seats at the top of the coliseum. A man approached wearing a Neil Diamond leather jacket and asked to see our tickets.

Guess what?

He exchanged those nose bleed tickets for front row seats. I started jumping up and down like a five year old girl about to meet her hero. I surely embarrassed my dear ones as that man made me promise not to jump on the stage during the performance.

While waiting for the show to begin and sitting ten feet from the stage, I began to jump again. I told my mom, "God did this for me. I know He did. And what's so incredible, is I never even thought to ask Him. He just knew I'd love it and He did it." God's timing perfect and precise.

Some will believe those incidences to be just fate or good luck. But not me.

Those were particular moments in time when the Ancient of Days reached into my little world and gave me a timely gift. And why? Because He's all about being in relationship. I'll never begin to comprehend the love He has for each one of us and how He gives so abundantly beyond our imagination. His timing perfect and precise.

This special time of the year, we celebrate the birth of His son and our Savior. May our eyes be open to those extraordinary occasions that He reaches down and bestows gifts to us in this particular point in history.

After all, His timing—perfect and precise.

Without a doubt, He's done the same for you. In this season of giving, please share your unique experience to encourage others. Merry Christmas!

Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and co-owner of S & N Paint Contractors, Inc. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils


Comments