Little Boys

What is it about little boys? I admit I'm biased; after all I have two sons and four grandsons.

It's not that I have anything against little girls. I have nieces and great nieces to marvel over their girly ways.  Although, I must say God knew what He was doing when He gave me boys. I grew up a tom boy and to this day, can barely style my own hair. I don't think I could have handled pony tails, painting dainty nails, and all that pink.

As a mother and grandmother, I love how unique and different each of my boys are. They all have in common the little boy ambition to never pass a puddle of water without a good stomp or an inquisitive mind on how things work. But they are all unique in their own way. I have the super reader, the Lego guru, the future land speed record holder, the creative gentle soul, the "you're not the boss of me" boy, and the easily "peopled" out boy.



At times, my role has demanded I be the gas pedal to encourage a direction ("You will survive going to summer camp for a week") or the brake pedal to protect health and safety ("Don't you jump off that roof"). I've been the defender of women's rights ("Of course, girls can climb trees as good as boys") and the perfect role model for dealing with a PMS crazed female ("Hand over the Reece's cups from your Halloween stash…now please").




Lately, I've been thinking about this simple fact.

I'm just a human with flaws, limitations, and biases. And as much as I believe to know every boy in a deep way, I really don't know exactly how they feel, what they've experienced, or their deepest joys and fears. I know that I love them down to their bone marrow, but I have human limitations there too. 

But not God. He knows them intimately.

Every thought. Every desire. Every hair on their head. Every action and reaction. Every mud puddle stomped.

And as much as I love them, He loves them far more. He has no boundary to His perfect abundant love. My finite mind will never fathom the infinite love He has for my boys. For each of us.

We can plug our ears with fingers, close our eyes and hum in denial of His existence. We can run from Him in the opposite direction as fast as we can. We can value other people, places and things more than Him. We can try to hide in our pride and ego.

But that doesn't change a thing.

Those actions may sadden our Maker, but it doesn't change the fact that He exists, or that He loves us or that He deeply knows us.  After all, He's the "I am" who is love and is familiar with all our ways (Ex. 3:14, 1 John 4:16 and Psalm 139:1-4).


So denial, running away, worship of others or hiding won't change God's existence, love or knowledge of us.


Now that puts a smile on my face. I hope that makes you smile too.

Because you are dearly loved and thoroughly known. And it doesn't get better than that.


Have you felt God's infinite and intimate love for you lately? Please share your journey and encourage others on the way. God bless!!




Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and co-owner of S & N Paint Contractors, Inc. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils

Comments