Three Times Hope & Restoration

Don’t you love it when you're reading scripture and BAM, a new epiphany emerges?  

Yep, that happened as I read the last chapter of Revelations again. First, I need to backtrack a moment.

At the last supper, we know that Peter claimed he'd never deny Jesus and then just a few short hours later, we read how he did just that (Luke 22:54-62). And exactly as Jesus said, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."

Peter then went outside and wept bitterly.

Now I can't imagine the shame and disappointment he felt for denying his Lord and Teacher because he saw the miracles and heard the lessons first hand. Brokenhearted.

I believe most of us have sort of been there too. We may not have denied Him but we've let Him down by moving in a direction or making a decision that goes against our Savior's teaching or the Holy Spirit's nudging. That's just a different kind of denial.

But we also know that Jesus didn't just leave him broken hearted. We're told in John 21:15-19 that three times Jesus asked Peter, "Do you truly love me?" Peter responds in the affirmative each time followed by instructions from Christ, to feed and care for My sheep. 

Three denials. Three restorations.

Jesus extends love, compassion, forgiveness, hope, and instructions to Peter after a tumultuous and devastating time in his life.  

Now to my epiphany from Revelation 22.

I've studied the Book of Revelations a few times. There are incredible descriptions of victory like when the Lamb steps forward to open the scroll or the rider called Faithful and True arrives on a white horse and my favorite, the arrival of New Jerusalem in all its beauty and glory. But it's also plain scary with plagues, beasts, bowls, riders, and dragons. The visual imagery painted in those chapters of suffering, denial, and pain is clearly overwhelming.

So maybe that's why Jesus leaves us with an important message in Chapter 22. And three times to make sure we get the point. In verses, 7, 12 and 20, Jesus tells us "I am coming soon!"


Photo by Carrie Barker
Maybe like He restores Peter with love, compassion and hope, He is offering us the same. Because after reading the first twenty-one chapters, I find it extremely hopeful that He is coming soon. And that in His infinite wisdom—the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega, and the Beginning and the End—decided to share with us how the story ends. Three times. To make sure we completely grasp the message.

He is coming soon.



Seems to me, that He is really into beginnings and endings. And His coming back is a great ending to this life and a new beginning to eternal peace with Him.

What do you think? Have you had any epiphanies lately? I'd love to hear about them. Please share.
 
Tammy Van Gils is a writer, blogger, and co-owner of S & N Paint Contractors, Inc. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Word Weavers International. In the Richmond area, she is a member of The Christian Writers Hub and Word Weavers Richmond. Visit her Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils


Comments

  1. I love how I can read the same Scripture over and over and each time, God gives me a new and different message. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Melissa. And the new message seems to be just what we need at that time. All the time, God is good!!!

      Delete
  2. I was always told that if something is said three times in the Bible, it is super important. If you repeat something three times, research shows you are more likely to remember it. It's really amazing how our God knows we need reassurance for something like that (plagues and awful things) and doesn't hesitate to offer it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the extra insight Lydia. I agree our God is pretty amazing in how He provides for us so intently and abundantly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.