Before & After

Do you like before and after photos? I sure do. I credit the popularity of home renovation tv shows with the desire to appreciate creative improvement in our living spaces—from the outdated and rough to the modern and fresh.



Recently, Hubby and I renovated two full baths at the same time. I know…you think that's crazy, but limiting the number of trips by contractors saved us money. Thank goodness we have a third bath in the basement. We're also fortunate that Hubby and my son were able to do most of the work with the exception of plumbing, floor tile and granite countertops.

We waited for all the materials to arrive for our project and then carefully scheduled the various stages around the subs availability. After all, we're in the construction business and understand how projects progress. And you guessed it; we hit unforeseen complications. These only delayed our project a week or two, but when living in a construction zone, that feels like forever.

Now those home renovation shows are great for gleaning ideas. However, they are detrimental to our expectations. You see, we watch a complete project done in thirty minutes even if it really took a day or weekend or longer. That's simply not real life.

Speaking of expectations, I mentioned in a recent post, Live Streaming Thoughts, that I'm trying to delete some polluted thought patterns. And I find myself frustrated at my progress—a snail's pace. 

That's when God flashed a memory of our recent projects and I'm reminded that sometimes life is difficult especially in the midst of change.


Real progress is a process. Rarely easy or fast. Often messy and gradual.

When I gaze in my past at previous soul-renovation projects and look at the LIFE-after picture, I feel hope creep in and patience sprout. God grants us the ability to look back and view the messy path we've taken so we can enjoy the simpler path ahead.  I'm grateful for the memory of the before-picture because I know the after-picture will be worth the time and effort.


May we never stop soul-repair projects. May our eyes and hearts be open to the soul-improvements that God calls us to renovate. May we always see His sanctifying hand along our journey called LIFE.


What about you? Done any renovation projects lately? At home or in your soul? Please share and enlighten others for their journey.


By the grace of God and perpetual spiritual and emotional renovation, Tammy Van Gils writes and blogs about Hope for the Everblooming Life at Tammyvangils.com. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers Association and Word Word Weavers International. Visit her on Facebook  and Twitter.  

Comments

  1. Very thought-provoking, Tammy. I must admit doing twin projects that way might sound almost crazy coming from someone else, but I don't think of you and Henry as crazy. I know you guys planned things out very carefully.

    My soul renovation projects are--unfortunately--lifelong in nature. Only when I reach Heaven will I become the person I want to be...and the person God intends for me to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm with you on some soul renovation projects being lifelong but I've a few that I can consider DONE!! Only by the grace of God have I been able to be a overcomer in those areas. I'm usually working on another project of self-improvement all the time. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Love your new bathrooms. It came together well and what lovely finishes you chose.
    In our last major renovation/new build we had to choose so many different finish options. I was concerned that in the end things would not fit together. Oh the options, oh the choices; life life, are all of our choices going to look good in the end, the end result? A wise family member gave some great advice; she said to not worry about the end result. If I picked out everything I liked, I would like the end result. Life to me is the same; the choices I make are good at the time and perhaps in the end, my choices will end up what I like, because I chose everything I like.

    Not all of the finishes turned out the best but I can say the journey to make choices and watch and wait for the end result was rewarding.

    I need to make more choices and choose things I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too are pleased with our project and sooo glad to have it behind us. I can't see your finished project soon now that you're all moved in. Great advice to just go with what we really like and trust it to work out. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.