Osprey Lessons

In the late afternoon, the osprey flew circles in the clear blue sky. After several loops, she stopped and hovered in one spot like a helicopter. Then a few more circles. She slowed, hovered, and then dropped like a bomb into the bay, head first. Seconds later, she's back doing circles again. Hover. Drop. This must have happened a dozen times before she left the water with a fish in her beak. SUCCESS!! And dinner.



As I watched in awe at her tenacity, I noticed significant lessons to harvest from this small bird.
  • Her very existence depends on her success.  Pulling up to a drive through window is not an option. She must persevere.
  • She remained focused on the task. Flying circles, hovering, and bomb diving into the water over and over until she achieved her goal—a fresh fish dinner.
  • She also remained consistent—all her circles were about the same size. She even hovered in about the exact same location every time.
  • Every failed attempt brought her closer to achieving her goal. She practiced fine-tuning her skills and perfect timing until she hit the water at the perfect location and moment to open her beak and grab her target fish.

As humans we too struggle with setbacks or failed attempts at reaching our dreams or goals.

It's so easy to just give up. 

I mean, who has time to keep trying over and over to be successful at a new skill? What about our shattered egos when we fail time and again? What about our reputation when we fall short repeatedly?

Honestly, I often feel that way about writing. Like most writers, I've invested money and tons of time working on this craft with my hopes and dreams exposed like a black panther in a snow storm.

When I want to quit and delete my book-file, I'm going to remember that small bird's tenacity and perseverance. To remain focused. To remain consistent. To keep fine-tuning. Maybe I'll just stand and walk in circles a bit, then hover and dive head-first down into my next writing project. 

Who knows success maybe realized on my next writing endeavor?

What about you? Had any setbacks lately achieving a goal or dream? What's encouraged you along the way? Let's share our harvested lessons and celebrate our victories in this journey called LIFE.  




 By the grace of God and perpetual spiritual and emotional renovation, Tammy Van Gils writes and blogs about Hope for the Everblooming Life at Tammyvangils.com. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers Association and Word Word Weavers International. Visit her on Facebook  and Twitter.  

Comments

  1. Great message. Setbacks can be discouraging, but, they can also mean that God has another plan for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true!! And often it can be hard to determine whether to keep persevering or if He is closing a door. That's when I pray for Him to keep sending me signs for me to stay in His will. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.