Religion, Relationship & History

It's been years since Mrs. Reynold's ninth grade World History Class. I loved learning about governments, cultures, and locations. But my favorite--how many different religions existed. What they believe, their traditions, their origins.

Back then as a new follower of Christ, I only had a basic understanding of Christianity. I remember concluding the world had so many religions because God gave us a deep spiritual longing to pursue answers to hard questions like how we came to be, why we exist, and what happens after death.

I still think history is pretty cool. But I must confess I don't remember much about those other religions and my real focus hasn't been on religion anyway. 

It's been on relationship. Let me explain.

At the age of thirteen, the dysfunction monster came into my life in a huge way. Chaos, fear, and turmoil settled at my address. Occasional church attendance ceased. 

At fifteen and the end of ninth grade, I prepared to be a mother. Several tumultuous years followed.

I didn't forget or blame God. Even in the toughest of times, I knew He was still there rooting for me. I prayed for life to get better. And over time, it did.

In my early twenties, I finally became active in a local church and began growing spiritually. 

Not in religion but in relationship with Christ. 

There's a huge difference. 

Religion is a shared system of beliefs. It's about regulations and adherence to particular beliefs.

Relationship is about God's grace and His desire to grow us more like His Son. Relationship is about mutual Love.

Photo by Carrie Barker
Why do I believe? 

Because a relationship with the Creator changes everything. 

Over the last thirty years, His Light has healed wounds, changed my attitude, and provided opportunities beyond my ability to dream. 

In hindsight, I see where He led me to people, places and things to "grow me up spiritually." Like to the Enneagram, to the Emmaus Walk and mission trips. His Spirit has nudged, counseled, and forewarned me along the way.

And not because of my adherence to any religion, but because of His love for relationship resulting in my continual, growing belief in Him.

This time of year we again celebrate the anniversary of a birth. CHRISTmas.

Two thousand years ago, a tiny baby born to a Virgin came to relate with each of us. Jesus is the intermediary between His heavenly Father and mankind. He left Paradise to endure the human experience offering the perfect way of relationship between heaven and earth for all who believe. 

Are there other world religions that are centered on agape love and an abiding relationship with the Creator? Well, I'm not sure.

You see, I'm in a committed relationship with the King of Kings. Oh, I still like history but I'm in love with HIS story more.  

What about you? Have you had a fresh encounter this Christmas with our Savior? Please share.  


Living the Garden Life, Tammy Van Gils plants words and sprouts insightful stories blooming with hope. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. Enjoy a visit to her Authors Facebook Page, Pinterest and Twitter @Tammyvangils. Subscribe to her blog, Writing Hope for the Everblooming Life and enter a monthly drawing for a free book. She's honored to be a guest blogger and a contributor to The Wonders of Nature Devotion Book, Worthy Inspired, Dec 2016

Comments

  1. Excellent post, Tammy. The "relationship vs. religion" issue is so vital in understanding why Christianity is the only true, uh, relationship. And why all "religions" are worthless. They involve obedience to some so-called god to try to gain his love and acceptance. With Christianity, God loves and accepts us; therefore we want to be obedient.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.