The Ego Monster

I have a friend in sales. We're both Type A personalities and hard workers. So a recent text conversation went like this—

Friend- "I got 2 deals this morning. They will come back later to buy!"

Me- "Oh, that's super! Are you close to your half month goal?"

Friend- "If all things work out yes, but I'm not getting my hopes up."

Me- "That's smart. Just work honest, hard and do your best. Let God do the rest."

Friend- "That's exactly what I'm doing. If it works out that I get extra money great, but if not, it wasn’t meant to be."

Less than five minutes later, I receive this—

Friend- "Omgosh, please say a prayer! I could reach my goal by the end of the week if everything works out!! Please pray for me!"

Why the big shift in perspective? What happened in five minutes to change her attitude?

Me- "Read your previous text to me!! The more you get psyched into the thrill, the less likely it will happen. Just stay focused on your best and let God have the rest!

Friend- "True. Thanks for keeping me grounded!!"

Me- "I've just learned the hard way that pride goes before the fall. God rewards us when we keep humble hearts. It's not easy. The ego monster in us is super driven."

I can so relate!

One minute I'm taking life in stride and then the next, I'm stressed and freaking out. I bet you've been there too. Sometimes the balanced mindset is like the fleeting view of a rainbow, but the ego monster is like the fast approaching thunderstorm. And the change can happen in the blink of an eye!

Oh, I will pray for my friend and I do hope she meets her goal. But I pray even more that she will strive for the balanced mindset and keep the conniving ego monster in check.


How about you? Does your ego monster zoom into your balanced mindset? What helps you to be victorious? Please share. My friend and I can use the suggestions!



Tammy C. Van Gils
Writing Hope for the Everblooming Life

Comments

  1. Thanks! I needed this. Blasted ego monster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! He sure is sneaky but just being aware of his pesky presence is the first and maybe most important step. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tammy, I will read your blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.