Road Trip Lessons

Hubby and I recently embarked on a 2,600 mile road trip. And even at my age, I learned new lessons along the way.

First, we visited The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. What an amazing castle-like home! Its mind boggling to believe that beautiful house was built so long ago and to behold the incredible workmanship. Hubby said he didn't believe it possible to build such an elaborate, detailed house today due to the cost and availability of the required finely skilled craftsmen.

We also visited a few of the fine stores around town and "ooohed and awwed" at the quality of the merchandise, but even more at the prices. I really do appreciate handcrafted items, pottery, and wooden bowls but not when they cost more than I make in a week. So my favorite retail place was the local farmers market. I guess deep down I'm just a country girl who likes farmers and their wares.

Then we ventured to Gatlinburg through the Cherokee National Forest. What breathtaking views! I so admire the majesty of the tree-lined mountains, babbling brooks, and clean waterfalls. I'm reminded that even beautiful homes can't compare to God's endless beauty in nature. 

While in Gatlinburg, we checked out a couple local shops which all seemed to mostly have the same merchandise, reminiscence of the beach shops in Virginia Beach, but just mountain themed. So we searched for outlet stores. Hubby enjoyed a knife outlet while I checked out the cast iron pan store. Not impressed with the prices, I headed out of the store and then I saw a sign and my heart skipped a beat. It read, "I R Cheap."

This store had a hodge podge of merchandise—kitchen stuff, antiques, handmade items—and the prices were decent. I spent $20 on a new frying pan and two baking dishes. I discovered to be a happy shopper, my requirements included---low price, decent quality, and on my 'need' list.

Our next location was Nashville. Hubby wanted to see the Grand Ol' Opry. Now I'm not a country music enthusiast, but we had a great time—I'd go back there in a New York minute. We also toured the Ryman Auditorium, Opryland Hotel and ate lunch in a honky-tonk BBQ restaurant.

Our final destination was Kansas City, KS to meet a new family member for the first time. We had a very enjoyable visit, ate more tasty BBQ, toured the Harley Davidson plant, and again visited the local farmers market.

All in all, a great trip!

I will long remember the time with family, the sites and the experiences. But this ever-seeking, always learning, pupil of life is grateful for the personal epiphanies.

May we always endeavor to be a learner of not only the natural world but, also ourselves as we enjoy this journey called LIFE.

How about you? Have you been on trips and gleaned new lessons? Have you had any great epiphanies lately? Please share!




Comments

  1. I enjoyed hearing about your trip. I didn't realize you were going on vacation, but it sounds wonderful. Too bad you didn't meet Kathleen's brother Jess, who lives in Nashville. He's the one whose father-in-law (who's still alive in Memphis; he worked at Sun Studios) wrote several of Elvis's VERY EARLY songs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. We really had a great time, but are grateful to be back home. I think Dorothy had it right, "There's no place like home."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments! I value your time & thoughts greatly.