Sprouting Alfalfa




Like most folks, I try to eat healthy and I love to grow my own food. Lately, I've been sprouting right in my own kitchen. No soil, no tilling, no weeds, no pests. This is so easy and tasty, everyone can have a fresh batch of alfalfa sprouts in about 5 days.


Items needed are readible available-- Wide-mouth Mason jars, Alfalfa sprouting seeds, Screen lids for the jars, couple of kitchen towels and water. I purchased from Amazon the seeds and lids. (Certified Non-GMO Alfalfa for Sprouting - Healthy Sprouts (1lb - Organic)  and The Original Sprouting Lid.) Neither of these were costly, especially considering the volume of sprouts you can grow from the seeds every week. I rarely buy romaine lettuce or other greens for sandwiches or salads anymore, instead I use fresh sprouts. 

Here's the sprouting process--




Wash two wide-mouth Mason jars. Put one tablespoon of alfalfa seeds in each jar followed by a lid. Add water to rinse and then pour it off. Fill jar with about two inches of fresh water and let soak for about 8 hours. Then pour off water and roll seeds around inside of jar.  




Next place the jars at an angle so they can drain and still receive air. This is how I use kitchen towels to hold my jars. I leave them on my counter, no sun needed.










Every day, water slightly wetting the seeds. After two days, you will see signs of growth. Then water once or twice daily- just enough to wet the seeds.




After about 4 days, you can place in a sunny spot by a window to green up your sprouts. When the sprouts reach the desired size, place in a colander and rinse. Squeeze out extra water and place in a covered bowl with a paper towel in the bottom to help them stay dry. 

The whole process is simple and quick yeilding a fresh batch about every 5 days. Two jars of finished sprouts last Hubby and I just enough time for the next batch to grow. Easy peezey! 

Do you have a favorite food to grow? What new healthy food discovery have you tried lately? I'd love to hear. Please share. 

Comments