Heaven's Court



I entered the wall-less room and walked down the aisle flanked by benches on either side. Goose bumps creep down my arms and my hands begin to sweat. 

Holding my head higher, I move further down the aisle and notice the creepy creatures on the left seem to be snarling at me. They don't growl, but I sense they despise me.

So I begin to walk closer to the benches on my right. Love and peace radiate from the beings seated. I believe they would wrap me tight in a hug if they could. What a contrast from those across the aisle!

At last, I approach the front which has two tables—one on the left and one on the right. The sleazy soul on the left is dressed in a swanky suit and forces a smile in my direction. I wonder if he has scales instead of skin and fangs ready to devour me.

To avoid his glares, I take a large side step to the right and feel a strong arm envelope my shoulder. Closing my eyes, I feel completely safe and loved. He doesn't say a word, this Living Being who stands beside me pulsating goodness and mercy.

"What brings you here, my child?" The Voice thunders from the beyond.

I open my eyes and try to focus. Clearing my throat, I proclaim."Freedom."

The sleazy soul slams his hands on the table. "Let me tell you, this girl doesn't deserve freedom. She's a mess and not worth your time of day." He huffs. "She's judgmental and preoccupied with her own issues. Let me deal with her."

I startle and cringe at the thought. But before I can open my mouth and plead for forgiveness, the Living Being speaks up. "Never! She's one of mine." He tightens His hold on my shoulder and pulls me closer to Him. "Humbly, I ask that You grant her request."

Warmth begins to flow through my shoulders, down my body, and legs. He called me—one of His. My heart is grateful and heavy at the same time. He loves me, just as I am. I'm not worthy of a single ounce of such abiding love.

A deep, painful moan escapes from the sleazy soul. "No, not another one. She belongs to me." He stomps his feet and pounds on the table again.

"Enough!" The Voice hushes the sleazy complainer. "Child, move closer. Why do you want freedom?"

I move forward with weak knees and bow my head in reverence. "Because he's torturing me endlessly. Lies, deceit, and turmoil." I lift my head up. "I need Your help."

"Your request is granted." The Voice softens. "Spirit, come show her the way to freedom."

The Living Being takes my hand and delivers it into another. "Go dear one. Hold onto Spirit who will protect you and eventually bring you into freedom."

Smiling and crying at the same time, I move from the Living Being into the presence of Spirit. Not for a moment do I have the impulse to look back at the sleazy liar defeated once again.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all of creation can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39.

May these words bring you comfort and hope. To God Almighty be the glory forever. Amen.

Have you ever gone before heaven's court with a heavy heart? Our Defender is waiting. Feel free to leave your thoughts or insight. We can learn from each other on this journey called life.

Tammy Van Gils plants words and grows insightful stories blooming with hope. She is a thriving survivor of abuse, abandonment and adversity. How? By the Master Gardener's grace, the Vine's love, and the Advocate's renewal—emotionally and spiritually. She is sowing life with her husband of 35 years, a Yorkie Poo named Moose, and a dozen chickens. Her life harvest includes two sons and four grandsons. She enjoys gardening, quilting, and writing. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers. She's honored to be a guest blogger and also a contributor to The Wonders of Nature Devotion Book, Let the Earth Rejoice Devotions, So God Made a Dog, Worthy Inspired and Short and Sweet Too, Grace Publishing.


Comments