Life's Interruptions




Just the other day I was cooking dinner and I received a text that required an answer to an important question. So I picked up my phone and started to type, but then my cell phone rang with a number I didn't recognize. I answered and literally, moved dinner to the back burner.

I'm glad I did. I had left this person several messages because I needed counsel on a special situation.  After a few seconds, the office phone rang, but I continued my cell phone conversation. Then, of course, Moose (my Yorki-poo) started barking like crazy. I knew this meant either Hubby or a stranger had pulled into the yard.

Now all of this happened in about two minutes. So my plans of cooking dinner were placed on hold while I dealt with these interruptions.

I'm a list person who values an agenda. Accomplish this, then move on to that. First here, then there. So when interruptions arrive unannounced, I feel a little vexed. Now I've lived long enough to know interruptions happen and usually not when we want them. Some can be great and some unpleasant. They are a part of life like the sun rising and the stars twinkling.

But later I wondered if Jesus had to deal with interruptions. So I strolled through the four Gospels and took a look at His life.

Matthew 9:18, Luke 8:40, and Mark 5:25—all tell the story of Jesus in an interruption crises. Matthew tells us while Jesus explained fasting, a ruler came in search of help. Jesus goes to follow him and verse 20 tells us, "just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him…".

Mark explains that Jesus tells the woman her faith has healed her. Then another interruption in verse 35, "While Jesus was still speaking, some men came from the house of Jairus…" and announced his daughter had died.

Interruptions. Even Jesus had them. Here are a few others--

  • Matthew 14 tells us Jesus heard of John the Baptist death and withdrew to a solitary place but the crowds followed by foot. He had compassion on them and healed their sick and then fed over 5,000 men, women and children with five loaves and two fish.

  • Matthew 26:6 and Mark 14:3 tells about Jesus eating dinner at Simon the lepers house, when a woman poured expensive perfume on Jesus' head in preparation for burial.

  • Mark 4:37 and Luke 8:22, tell of Jesus sleeping in the boat and being awakened by the disciples. He calmed the sea and taught a lesson on faith while amazing His disciples.

  • Mark 10:17, "As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him." Jesus teaches about the kingdom of God after the rich young ruler walked away sad. 

  • Luke 5:17 tells of the friends who lower their sick friend through the roof while Jesus was teaching. He heals the man and amazed the others who went home praising God.

  • And what about John 8:3, Jesus is teaching in the temple courts when the Pharisees bring a woman caught in the act of adultery. He makes one simple statement, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." They walk away but the woman received mercy and instruction.


What did I learn from Jesus' example? He kept His cool, stayed focused, and allowed the interruption. Miracles, healing, and lessons evolved from His interruptions.

I confess I usually growl in my head when I'm interrupted. But if I can develop gratitude and a sense of expectation when interruptions invade my day, then just maybe my soul will have more peace and hope. Less me and more Jesus. 

That, my friend, is my heart's desire.

What about you? Do interruptions bother you? How do you cope? Had any epiphanies lately? I'd love to hear about your experience.



Comments