Garden Rebels


Last year, I strolled through my garden and found the strangest thing. 

Right in my barrel of mint grew a rebel tomato plant. And this year, I had another rebel. A sunflower plant.

Now I didn't plant either so how did they manage to appear in such an unusual place?

I do use my homemade compost in my vegetable beds so maybe a tomato or sunflower seed survived the heat process and grew among my mint or maybe a bird or squirrel left a seed behind. I will never know for sure, but I chose to leave the rebel plants alone and see what happened.

Both rebels seemed out of place. One year tiny green tomatoes adorned the vines above my mint and this year, a beautiful, yellow sunny flower.

My rebel plants made me think about my own life.

How many times has an unexpected event happened and turned out to be a blessing in disguise? 

How many times have I ended up in such a strange place, only to find out it's exactly where I needed to be?

Just like the tomato or sunflower growing in the mint barrel. God has a way of turning the simplest of events into tremendous blessings. Or opening doors where we don't even see doors. Or guiding us to the exact place we need to be, even though we didn't know it existed. He is after all, our infinite loving Father.


So the next time life plants me in an unusual place, I'm going to remember my rebel plants. And dig my roots deep, take in a little sun and rain, and GROW.

You just never know what God has in mind. I just may produce the first minty tomato.

What about you? Have you been "planted" in an unexpected place or circumstance lately? Any rebels growing in your garden? Please share.

Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to join the Everblooming Hope journey, please subscribe right under my pic on the right. I'd love to cultivate a friendship and hear about your journey. 

Comments