The Butterfly Epiphany




This butterfly landed on my brick stoop and slowly fluttered his wings. After I took this picture, my eleven pound Yorki-poo pup, Moose, finally zoomed his attention on the tiny-winged critter.

Growling, he wagged his tail. Oblivious, the butterfly kept exercising his wings in the sun. Deeper growling, faster wagging. Then Moose began the alarm-barking.

"Moose, it's just a butterfly." I said. "Do you know how crazy you look barking at something so harmless?"

Later I conveyed the scene to Hubby and he looked at Moose and said, "Buddy, you've lost all credibility with me. What guard dog barks at butterflies?"

Funny. But Moose was quite serious about that waving beast on the brick.

Then later the butterfly epiphany hit.


I bet God looks down on me and thinks how crazy I am to be fretting over stuff in my life.

Like the over abundance of rain that messes up our work schedule or the never-ending drama from Washington DC or why my scale won't reflect lower numbers no matter how hard I try to lose weight.

Can't you see God rolling His eyes and looking up? Does He shake His head and wonder, "My child, don't you know how silly these things are? When will you learn to rest in Me and watch the beauty around you instead? Calm that racing mind and just trust Me."  

Like Moose, I can growl and gripe, mull over and agonize over many things.

Maybe the epiphany was God's way of reminding me, He has the ultimate vantage point and perspective. After all, He is the Great I AM. He's seen it all, sees it all, and knows what will come. And He's been faithful every step of the way.

James 1:17 tells us, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

He's never let me down. Not once. And He's not about to change now. If only I could remember this the next time I go off barking at things in life.

Instead of shaking His head, maybe God will smile and say, "My child, you finally get it. It's not about the butterfly but how you respond that matters. Focus on Me and have faith."

I love that He reaches down and teaches lessons from everyday life experiences like when a crazy pup wages war on a beautiful butterfly. The simplest moments become profound and meaningful.

To God be the glory!


What about you? Have you had any epiphanies lately? What's the craziest thing you've seen your pet do? Please join me on the journey and share a comment.

And if you would like to receive my post by email, please subscribe on the right in the box below my picture. Thanks for sharing a few precious moments of your day. God bless!  

Comments